Russtifarian

Friday, September 22, 2006

Day 2 of the Coup: Sudden Unease

My experience was a bit different yesterday (Thursday). Until I went out for dinner, I was all set to write that it was indeed business as usual in Bangkok. Banks, schools and post offices were open. The traffic was still jammed. Thais seemed as relaxed as normal. The ethos of "mai pen rai" (don't worry about it) seemed in full force.

And then I went out for dinner. On the way there and home afterwards, I saw around a dozen soldiers and various military vehicles. This was nowhere near Government House. What it was near, though, were 2 large office buildings owned by Thaksin Shinawatra. Indeed, they proudly bear his name. There were 2 soldiers, guns at hand, in front of Shinawatra Tower 1, and 7 more in front of Shinawatra Tower 2. One of the soldiers wore a T-shirt (in English!) reading "1st Regiment, King's Own Guards". On the way home we saw another dozen soldiers at different intersections in the shopping area. Did I miss them Wednesday, or was there suddenly a larger presence? I can't say. But there they stood, a reminder that it was NOT business as usual (unless you consider coups as integral to Thai political life).

Seeing the soldiers was disconcerting. I have worked inside 3 of the Shinawatra buildings. In fact, Tuesday night we left Shin 3 around 9pm, apparently moments before a few dozen troops arrived. My affilation with one of Thailad's biggest companies was something I suddenly felt I should hide. I removed the building passcard from my belt and put it in my shirt pocket.

Why are soldiers outside Shinawatra's buildings? Are they waiting to confiscate his assets? Are they afraid that pro-Thaksin supporters will gather there as a symbol of their fallen leader? Or is the fear that anti-Thaksin protestors will try to attack and destroy his property?

But hey, some of the soldiers were laughing, and a couple of young ladies had stopped by one group to chat, I presume to offer their support. Mai pen rai, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger melstcyr said...

Come home!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

not too long, baby, not too long. mwah

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home